Appeals petitions campaigns and consultations.
Most links below go to websites which are fairly permanent - see the note at the end of the list. All of them were suggested by Quakers in Devon or were in Quaker publications as editorial or inserts:
- Campaign against goods sold in Europe by illegal Israeli settlements: Patricia Cockrell, whose report as an Ecumenical Accompanier was in DQN in November 2010, asks if Friends might wish to join this campaign for better labelling by writing to their MEPs.
- Avaaz.org is a new global web movement with a democratic mission and worldwide reach: "to close the gap between the world we have, and the world most people everywhere want". Their mission statement mentions human rights, the environment, poverty, corruption and war. A Climate Change campaign is in progress now (Sept 2009).
- Jewish Voice for Peace is run by Jews campaigning for peace on behalf of Palestinians, and solicits worldwide support for their cause.
- Vote for a Change This campaign is for electoral reform leading to a more representative UK government. The immediate goal is a referendum on reform at the next general election. The campaign is currently (end-Sept) asking for signatures on a letter to be sent to David Cameron, which will ask him to support such a referendum.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation. For Young Peacemakers Network, the International Peacemakers Fund, and campaigning for non-violent solutions to problems (a leaflet was included loose in 'the Friend' for 18.09.2009).
- Campaign against the arms trade (CAAT).
- Make Wars History Campaign. An association of peace activists working to end war.
- Breast cancer campaign - how you can help.
- http://www.1010uk.org/ This is the Guardian website on which you can pledge to reduce your own carbon footprint by 10% by the end of 2010.
- https://www.womankind.org.uk/ An insert in 'the Friend' asked for donations in support of women campaiging in their countries against the practice of female 'circumcision'.
- http://www.tibetrelieffund.co.uk An insert in 'the Friend' of 13.11.09, to help Tibetans in need.
- http://www.treeaid.org.uk/ An insert in 'the Friend'.
- Amnesty International An insert in 'the Friend'.
- Peace Direct An insert in 'the Friend'.
- Scientists for Global Responsibility An insert in 'the Friend'.
If you know of an appeal or petition which you think should be here, know that an item above is out of date, or wish to comment on any aspect of the list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org In order to keep the list as short as possible links lead to websites. Through them you can choose to receive reminder emails or sign particular petitions. Local appeals for money - eg for building restoration - are not included here.